Skip to main content

tv   The Story With Martha Mac Callum  FOX News  January 2, 2018 4:00pm-5:00pm PST

4:00 pm
magical fairy tale moment and she will remember it forever. congratulations. thanks for inviting us into her home tonight. that's it for this "special report" ," fair, balanced, and unafraid. "the story" hosted by sandra smith starts right now. >> happy new year to go. we pick up "the story" from here. breaking tonight, a renewed cry. [chanting] >> sandra: 's those chance once a staple of president trump's 2016 campaign are taking on new life tonight in the wake of yet another revelation that hillary clinton's inner circle mishandled classified information while in power at the white house. and surprise, surprise. hillary and her closest friend got a pass. i'm sandra smith in for martha maccallum tonight. earlier today the president slammed longtime clinton aid,
4:01 pm
whom aberdeen, suggesting she be jailed for after a trove of emails after personal devices ad revelations that several were marked classified. trump tweeting "she put classified passwords into the hands of foreign agents. remember sailors pictures on submarines? jail. deep state justice department must finally act." the president referring to former navy sailor, jailed in 2016 for taking classified photos of a ship. critics called it a double standard. both were accused of mishandling classified information. both were but our investigation by the fbi but hillary clinton was cleared. he was sent to prison. for what many consider to be a far lesser offense. in moments, that sailor joins us for an exclusive reaction to these new developments, and he has a lot to say. but first, chief intelligence correspondent catherine herridge is live in washington tonight with the latest follow.
4:02 pm
good evening. >> things. newly released emails show clinton aid houma abe -- unseco account. in a tweet today president trump unloaded on her alleging she just regarded basic security, put classified passwords at risk and suggested she should be jailed and once again criticized what he called the deep state justice department, imploring officials to finally act against abedin, former fbi director called me and others. in a state department briefing, spokeswoman sarah sanders was pressed on the president's deep state allegations. >> obviously he doesn't believe the entire justice department is part of that. one of the things that the president has done is appoint christopher wray at the fbi because he wants to change the culture of that agency and he thinks he's the right person to do that. >> in her april 2016 fbi interview overseen by demoted agent peter strzok who sent auntie trump text messages,
4:03 pm
abedin admitted she continually forwarded emails to her yahoo account for printing. she said she was not sure if her account of urban compromise despite receiving warning. those email found on the computer are significant because they let the fbi to reopen the criminal case ten days before the election. abedin was never charged with any crime. >> sandra: catherine herridge, thank you. if the president's tweet triggering fresh calls for lawmakers to re-examine what hillary clinton and those around her seemed to be getting a free pass for their reckless handling of classified materials. others are paying dearly for what they say are similar, even lesser offenses, listen. >> there was a sailor who took a picture on a submarine, that stuff is classified, you are not supposed to do that. he shouldn't have done it but if he ends up going to the federal prison for that, or you look at what abedin did come a look at what hillary did with how they had all this classified information on the unclassified servers and computers and yet
4:04 pm
none of them were held accountable. >> sandra: here now in an exclusive interview is that former navy machinist you just heard congressman desantis talking about. question. thank you for joining us this evening. >> thank you for having me on, sandra. >> sandra: what was that like this morning to see your story brought up in a tweet by the president? >> it's good because i think he's pointing out some serious issues that the fbi and the doj under comey and andrew mccabe -- these are the same guys who are investigating me at the same time they were supposedly investigating hillary clinton and her cronies. they couldn't wait to exonerate them before they'd even conducted interviews, where they were chomping at the bit to destroy my life, which is exactly what they did. >> sandra: to be clear, and i think this is important to get this out here, you took responsibility for your actions. if you owned, you pled guilty and then use our time. >> that's absolutely correct. >> sandra: it's a double standard that you say you believe exists.
4:05 pm
>> these politicians, hillary clinton a prime example. she denied and denied and denied it until finally she got caught red handed and said i did it, what's the big deal basically. the big deal as she did exactly what they accused me of doing and what i pled guilty and took responsibility too. i didn't go to trial. basically i took secured information, pictures of my summary and put it on an unsecured device, my cell phone. that's what i got charged with, unlawful -- is exactly what she did. >> sandra: you are still under house arrest, you've still got an ankle bracelet on? >> that's correct. i did a year in federal prison, six months of house arrest in three years of federal probation. plus i'm a felon and i have a dishonorable discharge. i lost my disability benefits, my veteran status, everything after 11 years in the service into deployments to the middle east, i have nothing. it's very difficult for me watching as this very same fbi that was supposedly protecting
4:06 pm
us from people that mishandled classified information, that's what they said in my case, they need to set an example. why are they setting an example of this egregious violation that hillary clinton and abedin and sheryl mills did? they have top-secret fbi, the highest level. i had confidential pictures. i'm not trying to minimize what i did, i made a mistake and that's why it took responsibility. but i've been contacted by numerous people in the military after this happened and they said from vietnam up to current day and said i took pictures of where i worked and it was probably top-secret or something but i wanted to have mementos of my time in service. i said that is honestly what a lot of people do and that's what i did. it just so happened that my case was gratuitous for them to prosecute so they could take the heat off hillary clinton. >> sandra: what happens next with the president ringing you and your situation up in this tweet this morning? i know you had had hopes that resident trump what possibly parting you or relook at your
4:07 pm
case, he hasn't done that. do you still have hopes that he may? >> i'm hopeful. i'm hopeful that he will look at this case and say, look, this sailor, me comfort my family and i have been put through the ringer. we've been punished enough. we've lost everything, our house was in foreclosure. bill collectors calling all the time. what more can he do to us? i think he needs to send a clear message to the doj under the obama administration that what they did to us was far to the extreme and he needs to send the same message to hillary clinton and them and say, look, you need to get prosecuted and this guy here, he shouldn't be a felon anymore. it's difficult. it's such an uphill battle being a felon in trying to get a job and trying to assimilate back into society. >> sandra: based on what we just learned with abedin in this latest email release, what do you think should happen to her? should she seem jail time?
4:08 pm
>> i think she should be prosecuted. it's neither here nor there whether she should see jail time. that's what a grand jury and what jury of her peers say, but she should be prosecuted, she should be put through the same legal system that went after me. and unfortunately i didn't have near the legal resources that she does or hillary clinton does so they will be able to mount a much better defense than i coul could. even still, they should still be charged at the same as me. >> sandra: i know it and as you just detail to us here that this has been an extremely painful to your family. you have a young daughter at home as well. we will continue to follow your story. >> thank you so much and thank you for following it. >> sandra: thanks for coming on. also tonight, yet another case of hillary clinton potentially receiving a special treatment of sorts. this time from the media. wikileaks releasing emails between the clinton state department and "the new york times," showing the paper feeding the clinton team information about stories they would be publishing days before the story's hit.
4:09 pm
my next guest says this type of collusion by the clintons doesn't shock them. gary byrne is a former secret service agent who protected president bill clinton and his new book "secrets of the secret service," he claims bill and hillary clinton "systematically broke the rules," and he says america deserves to know the real hillary clinton and we thank you for coming on this evening. so who is the real hillary clinton, as you saw it got to know her? >> the real hillary clinton as i detail in my book "secrets of the secret service," is that hillary clinton that doesn't follow the rules. the story you just heard the gentleman before me talk about, he's exactly right. there's two sets of rules, a role for everybody else and goals for the clintons. we saw this many times during the campaign. mrs. clinton was fed information from cnn. you just stated a fact that they were fed information on the news media. i wrote my book, "secrets of the secret service," to get the
4:10 pm
truth out, that the secret service has been compromised and one of the ways it's been compromised is by the clinton and former clinton administration. >> sandra: that you say is posing a serious threat, scott serious danger to the current president? >> absolutely to the president and two other -- who in their right mind thinks that during the campaign that riding around in that van we saw her writing around it is a secure mode of transportation? that van is set up for a certain reason. if that's not what the secret service moves people around in. it's not armored correctly and it cannot ram vehicles out of the way. she is risking those agent's life and her own life. she has turned the secret service basically -- >> sandra: give some more specific examples as to how they completely, as you put it in your book, changed the quality and significantly lower the quality of the secret service as we know it today? >> going back to president bill clinton's administration. the first thing he did when they got in there as they reduced the way we scream people. if the secret service and the fbi had systems set up with a
4:11 pm
wood screen employees that the current administration wanted to bring it in the first thing they did was take that apart because a lot of their employees had criminal records. they ended up being hired anyway. one of the worst thing to happen there is during the time the clintons were there, vince foster, a lawyer for mrs. clinton took his own life, committed suicide. as soon as the fbi found out about it they contacted the secret service and ask them to put the uniform division officer on vince foster's office. as soon as he was posted, maggie williams, mrs. clinton's chief of staff, this is significant, mrs. clinton's chief of staff shows up, bullies are way inside there, take files out -- she broke a crime scene etiquette basically and then took the files back and then lied in a grand jury inside she didn't know anything about it. two to three years later they are saying filed shows up on mrs. quinn's private email. >> sandra: based on your account of what you saw inside closed doors happening with the clintons, why do you think that they have been able to get away with this for so long living by
4:12 pm
this other set of rules? >> because they slowly compromise and corrupt everybody. they started with the secret service and the fbi when bill clinton into office. there were 900 fbi files found in the clinton white house that came from the fbi and they were background files, for instance like when you apply to the government or the fbi has done an investigation on you they have these files on you. raw data files. those files were found in a clinton complex and nobody knew how i they got there. i can tell you exactly how they got there. the clintons security guy that they hired, the name is slipping my mind but it will come back to me in a minute, he asked the fbi person at the time to get these files going and they refused to do it so he picked up the phone, called somebody senior and 900 fbi files ended up in the clinton white house. it was another scandal, one of many scandals. >> sandra: we see the secret service come in all the time. we have so much respect for the work they do in protecting our
4:13 pm
president, quite frankly, as well as senators and congressmen. all of these people, and we know it is a hard job. do you get the idea that president trump understands what has happened with the secret service and does he see the need for change? >> i think he understands that they are under a lot of pressure but i think there's a lot of things he doesn't know. for instance, there are 1300 uniform division officers like i was at work at the white house right now. out of those 1300 officers, in the next 3-5 years 1100 of them can retire. they can leave in 3-5 years. they are so overworked, their average salary is 70-$100,000 a year. some of these guys are making more than the secretary of homeland security because they're working 12 hours a day seven days a week. i think he knows that, i think he knows it needs to be fixed. the problem is that the director that he appointed, i'm sure he's a good man, former marine corps general, but all the information he's getting is from people in the secret service that want to
4:14 pm
keep the secret service the way it is now and he's not getting the truth. >> sandra: fair to say the double standard that we just spoke about that he says he's feeling right now is something you believe you saw firsthand? >> absolutely. it's just incredible the amount of corruption that took place during the clinton administration. in the secret service had problems to start with before that. >> sandra: great to get your take on things, thank you for being here. >> thank you so much, it's a pleasure. >> sandra: the book, we will read it. "secrets of the secret service." a fire he made it through the first chapter and it is an interesting one. thanks for being here tonight. a protest rage in iran, president trump does something his predecessors was not there. he takes aside. and this veteran wounded by an iranian bomb says it's about time. he joins us live exclusively next. >> an iranian bomb killed me into thousand five and by the grace of god and great medics i came back to life three times. ♪
4:15 pm
there are two types of people in the world. those who fear the future... and those who embrace it. the future is for the unafraid. ♪ all because of you ♪ ♪ [notification tone]
4:16 pm
♪ i love your vest. your crocheted purses have wonderful eyes. ♪ in the modern world, an app can help you find your perfect match. and with esurance, coverage counselor® can help you find great coverage that's a perfect match too. that's auto and home insurance for the modern world. esurance. an allstate company. click or call.
4:17 pm
>> even "the new york times," which is totally dishonest, by the way, -- here's the good news about "the new york times," they won't be in business much longer, did you see what they are losing? >> sandra: president trump issuing a rare congratulations to "the new york times" along with a challenge for 2018.
4:18 pm
in an early morning tweet the president wrote "the failing "new york times" has a new publisher. congratulations, the last chance for them to fill the vision of its founder to give the news impartially without fear or favor regardless of party or interest involved. but it looks like the times is off to a rough start with critics attacking a weekend expose on the trump russia investigation calling it nothing more than a desperate attempt to bring the collusion narrative back from the dead. ochs 'has doug mckelway it live in washington with the story. good evening. >> good evening to you, it is no secret that one of president trump's most notorious enemies has been what he calls the failing "new york times" and after that tweet which you just put up on the screen, he pointed out to this other "new york times" story, a blockbuster story first publishing over saturday which hits at this. the times story said, and a quote directly from it, "during
4:19 pm
a night of heavy drinking in an upscale london bard in may 2016, george papadopoulos, a young foreign policy advisor to the trim campaign made a startling revelation to australia's top diplomat impression. it russia had political dirt on hillary clinton. the story then goes on into more detail. "how much he said that night at the kensington wine room is with the australian is unclear. but two months later when leaked democratic emails began appearing online, australian officials passed information about him to their american counterparts according to four current and four former with direct knowledge of his role. mr. trump is not the only one to question yet another "new york times" anonymously source, entirely anonymous source. andrew mccarthy writing in the national review because the times story russian collusion two-point oh. he says that back in april they
4:20 pm
had a similar blockbuster story of collusion but blamed it on another trump campaign staffer mccarter page. he wrote, mccarthy dead, "back then no fewer than six of the reporters worked their anonymous current and former law enforcement intelligent officials in order to generate the blockbuster. trump in his argument with "the new york times" may be scoring some points, at least among people who approve of his behavior in this regard. if only in the sense that the most common sense dictates that people will say something anonymously that they will not say on the record. this battle with "the new york times" and other members of the mainstream media is not likely to end until mr. mueller and the special prosecutor's office comes down with an indictment on the president of the united states or if it clears the president of the united states. back to you. >> sandra: doug mckelway, thank you. why is "the new york times" so interested in george papadopoulos now? in a new op-ed on foxnews.com,
4:21 pm
former cia agent and democrat brian dena writes "if this journalistic whiplash seems incredibly suspicious, it showed. the sleight-of-hand from dossier to papadopoulos is a thinly veiled effort to keep the allegations of collusion alive in the face of trump's demand for the witch hunt to come to an end." here now is ari fleischer, press secretary under george w. bush and fox news contributor. happy new year to you, always good to see you. >> happy new year. >> sandra: what do you make of "the new york times" offering up this new explanation behind all of this? >> the amount of ink that has spilled on collusion with no evidence of collusion is staggering. i understand -- and if anybody in the trump campaign did engage in collusion with russia to hack the dnc or john podesta's emails, they deserve whatever is coming to them. but we see no evidence that anybody did that so instead you just are getting this giant wave
4:22 pm
of story after story about why is the fbi investigating trump and the reasons keep changing. i think it's because they're such a desperation to attach the word collusion to trump, that anonymous sources just get passed on to the front page even if they contradict previous "new york times." >> sandra: to dig a little bit further in the national review piece, andrew mccarthy writes on "the new york times" report on papadopoulos "now with the page foundation of the collusion narrative collapsing in the heat on over the obama administration use of the dossier, it is apparently papadopoulos to the rescue. to your point, it really just seems like they are grabbing at anything they can hear. >> kind of reminds me of tarzan swinging through a jungle describing vines. this time he keeps yelling "collusion" when there is none. started out with the dossier on the democrats demanded an investigation. then you had carter page was the reason the fbi began its investigation because he took a
4:23 pm
trip to moscow. now you see it's george papadopoulos because he was drunk in a bar. none of them prove anything. >> sandra: quite frankly i find it difficult to keep track of it all. i'm sure our viewers to too. there's a lot to this. >> that's why the heart of the matter, the only thing that counts is that donald trump and his campaign colluded with russia. suffice to say if anybody did cooperate with an enemy to influence an american election, they deserve to be prosecuted. you don't do that in this country, if that is occurring. if it's not a crime it certainly is immoral. we see no evidence. keep in mind we are talking about almost two years old and none of that has come out. it hasn't come on a capitol hill or the fbi, it's come out from nowhere. probably because it doesn't exist. >> sandra: clearly by the look of the president's recent tweets on this, he's choosing to pick another fight with not just the media, but specifically "the new york times" here and
4:24 pm
you and i have talked a lot about this. is the president's strategy to go after them, is it working? >> i've made a point saying the president sometimes goes too far and he says things on twitter that hurt him. i don't think this was one of those cases. i think the president -- put yourself in his shoes. if you know you did not collude but you are under an fbi investigation, of course you will want to speak out, you will lash out. even if you are the president of the united states. there is a policy objective here. the president should be free, whether you like it or not, to pursue foreign policies. the fbi has effectively tied donald trump's hands when it comes to how to deal with russian until this probe is complete. that's a foreign policy problem the united states has. the fbi needs to finish its work, the mueller report needs to get completed. i still have faith in bob mueller the individual, although i've lost a lot of faith in his staff. i do believe bob mueller is a man of integrity. at this probe should come to a conclusion -- with the fbi has found and go public.
4:25 pm
i still believe it because i believe bob mueller the man. i know him and i do think he will hold this group that he unwisely put together and make sure their standards are high enough to investigate. >> sandra: taking a lot of time, requiring a lot of patients. from all of us, ari fleischer, good to see you in great to start out the new year with you. thank you. >> thanks, happy new year. >> sandra: what does president trump actually think about elizabeth warren running for president? >> i actually thinks dumb i think she's a hopeless case. i call her pocahontas and that's an insult to pocahontas. >> sandra: but wait until you hear what we just found out about pocahontas' plan for 2020. karl rove and marc thiessen on whether or not her strategy just might work. ♪ only tena intimates has pro-skin technology designed to quickly wick away moisture to help maintain your skin's natural balance. for a free sample call 1-877-get-tena.
4:26 pm
replace the full value of your totaled new car. the guy says, "you picked the wrong insurance plan." no, i picked the wrong insurance company. with new car replacement™, we'll replace the full value of your car plus depreciation. liberty mutual insurance.
4:27 pm
♪ do you want clean, stain free dentures? try polident. the four in one cleaning system kills 99.99% of odor causing bacteria, cleans where brushing may miss. helps remove stains and prevent stain build up.
4:28 pm
use polident daily. let with one a day women's. a complete multivitamin specially formulated with key nutrients plus vitamin d for bone health support. your one a day is showing. save up to $8 on one a day. see sunday's paper. >> the iranian regime spends its people's wealth on spreading militancy and terror abroad rather than ensuring prosperity at home. we stand in total solidarity with the iranian regime's longest suffering victims, its own people. >> sandra: developing tonight, air monitoring of what could be a seventh day of protests. if iran supreme leader accusing the country's enemies like the united states for the violent clashes that have so far claimed more than 20 lives.
4:29 pm
if the demonstrations began as a protest over iran's beleaguered economy, but has since widened to a more general expression of anger over alleged government corruption and leadership. president trump tweeting in support of the protesters today saying "many reports of peaceful protests by iranian citizens fed up with regime corruption and it squandering of -- iran and the government should respect their people's rights including the right to express themselves. the world is watching!" roger bartlett, badly injured when his convoy hit and iranian farm atomic bomb and can speak to how horrific that regime has become. thank you for being it is evening. >> thank you. >> sandra: you can obviously, obviously talk to us specifically about how that regime so badly impacted your own life. >> absolutely. i joined that's against the deal to try and stop them from
4:30 pm
getting a nuclear bomb a long time ago. we are still on that mission today. when they got the blood of 500 americans just in the last few years on their hands. they've been killing americans since the 1970s and we just really haven't done a whole lot about it. >> sandra: you've been against ideal from iran from the go. >> absolutely. absolutely. pave the way for a lot of things. the billions of dollars and money to go over that obviously is not going to the people and seeing the protests now. and then all of a sudden you see -- which is kind of funny, you see another rogue regime like north korea all of a sudden getting supercharged nuclear program. you are wondering where that untraceable money is really going. >> sandra: when we talk to you and see how deeply affected you are by the iranian regime, it makes you wonder -- we could talk about the politics all day long, talk about the strategy, of course that is important. but one might wonder how it
4:31 pm
makes it feel to her president trump say the world is watching and actually back the iranian people in these protests. >> it's wonderful. i went to school with iranians, american iranians. great guys. there's plenty of good people in the world and in every country. the problem is bad regimes. bad regime in iraq, bad regimes in afghanistan and we had a bad regime for a long time in iran. we've been dealing with. killing americans, blood on their hands for years since the '70s. >> sandra: so when you have the president talk about this and there are calls -- you for the politics today saying we need to do more. it's one thing to say something, it's another thing to show how we are going to act. lindsey graham saying we need to lay out our strategy and how we are going to move forward here. just curious -- this is your mission in life now. >> yeah.
4:32 pm
you never know where you are going to end up. you start with a 30-year-old guy bartending. you go to war because the war starts. if you go to sniper school, you end up getting blown up. he spent four and a half years at walter reed and then you're getting involved in trying to stop bad policies from happening and continuing to save americans on the policy level. you never know where you're going to end up. you roll with the punches, as they say. >> sandra: sergeant bartlett, it's an honor to speak with you tonight. thank you for being here and thank you for your service. >> thank you, i appreciate it. >> sandra: here now general jack keane. the chairman of the institute for the study of war and a fox news strategic analyst. good to see you and is tough to hear his story and we heard his story before and every time he tells it to learn something more about his mission now. now as we see these protests there throw even more deadly, your thoughts? >> first of all, an honor to be here with sergeant bartlett and the fact that he still in the fight and god bless him,
4:33 pm
god bless him for that. he's made a hell of a sacrifice, that's for sure. the way president obama acted then, i was embarrassed for the united states. i think the first time ever in my life. we did not stand up and have moral clarity over the fact that there was a serious protest going on for the first time of any consequence against the iranian regime. this one i think -- it cuts a little deeper because that one was about an election with the people believe was stolen. at this, while not as massive in tehran, it cuts across the entire social economic fabric of the country because unemployment is at 12%, inflation is high. that touches everybody's pocketbook. there have been so many false promises about what they were going to do when they got sanction relief. they got the money, a ton of money, over $100 billion and most of that as documented by our intelligence agencies has
4:34 pm
gone to fund the war in syria, in other words the hezbollah, the war in iraq, in other words the shield militia, and the war in yemen, all of which the iranians are backing. that is where their money is primarily going. the well-being of the people are paying a heck of a price for it and they are in the streets absolutely getting the attention. the other thing i've noticed that's different is they are really attacking the president of the country for failing them and also attacking the supreme leader. i think the degree that that's going on is a bit unusual. >> sandra: such an important distinction and one i heard ambassador john bolton make earlier today as well. you look back at the protests in 2009 postelection period protesting the election. this is much different. it's a protest of the actual regime. susan rice has the best thing president trump can do is stay quiet. president trump making it very clear he is not staying quiet here. how important is it that he lay out a specific strategy, which
4:35 pm
he has often reluctant to do? >> first of all, providing moral clarity much as ronald reagan did to stand up against communism, particularly when the polls were rebelling and protesting against the communist regime in poland, it can be very inspirational to the people on the ground. quite emotional in describing the impact it had on him. but yes, i really think that we have to get the other countries of the world to work with us on this. i understand the communication being put together with the u.k., france, italy and possibly germany as well. that's a step in the right direction. nikki haley today spoke about the security council meeting, condemnation by the world for what they are doing is very important and it's one of the useful things that the u.n. can actually do in a positive way. but then i think you've got to get considerably more specific and that is with the leaders
quote
4:36 pm
themselves and the radicals, who impose their will. the iranian republican guard corps, the leader's of those organizations should be shanked sanctioned. revisit the comprehend's of strategy against iran and how we are going to stand up against this regime with our allies. we are not in this by ourselves. we got to push back hard on it. >> sandra: we are not in this by ourselves when it comes to north korea either, general kane. as we begin a new year, that threat is growing. kim jong un making it very clear he is ready to act. at that threat continues to grow you have to wonder what 2018 holes. >> it's likely to show down here given the director of the cia has said they are months away from achieving this capability. he said that publicly. this thing is coming to a head and we are relying on china to
4:37 pm
accomplish the major diplomatic and economic sanction effort here. i doubt seriously if they are stepping up to the fullest that our government wants them to do, and i'm sure we are putting more pressure on them, but we are getting closer and closer to the potential of a horrible situation, certainly. some kind of military option being exercised because the trump administration, rightfully so, is not going to permit north korea to have any kind of ballistic missile pointed out american cities. once he miniature rises that capability, the terrorists around the world into his proxies. that's the second stage of this thing and why it is someone acceptable. >> sandra: a lot of the presidents plate as we start the new year. thanks for covering all of that, general keane, good to see you. >> good talking to you. >> sandra: utah senator orrin hatch announced his retirement today. but it wasn't just to make waves for senator mitt romney? karl rove and marc thiessen join me next, and one of them says
4:38 pm
this is a great idea. then, from the network that is begging its critics, please stop calling us take news! >> i came prepared this year. i thought maybe i would bring a gas mask with me so i wouldn't get that contact time. on the other end of the gas mas mask.
4:39 pm
4:40 pm
♪ it takes a lot of work to run this business. but i really love it. i'm on the move all day long...
4:41 pm
and sometimes, i don't eat the way i should. so, i drink boost to get the nutrition i'm missing. boost high protein nutritional drink has 15 grams of protein to help maintain muscle and 26 essential vitamins and minerals, including calcium and vitamin d. all with a great taste. boost gives me everything i need... to be up for doing what i love. boost high protein. be up for it. save seven dollars. look in sunday's paper. >> sandra: al franken makes it official, formally resigning from the united states senate today. it comes nearly a month after he announced plans to leave following a series of sexual misconduct allegations. his replacement is minnesota's lieutenant governor tina smith. she will be sworn in tomorrow. a special election to fill up the remainder of his term is slated for later this year. a former republican congresswoman michele bachmann, a conservative favorite, has hinted she is considering running for the seat. >> i have a feeling that in the
4:42 pm
next election you will be swamped with candidates, but you will not be wasting your time. you will have plenty of those democrats coming over and you will say no, sir, no thank you. no ma'am. it may be pocahontas. >> sandra: that was president trump more than eight months ago predicting massachusetts senator elizabeth warren may run for president in 2020. now it appears that just might be the case. reports suggesting she has made a series of important moves that could position her for a run against her nemesis, president trump. karl rove, the founder and advisor to the american crossword, marc theissen is an american enterprise institute scholar. both men served under president george w. bush and our fox news contributor's. every time we showed you guys, you are laughing and having fun. let's get this going. senator warren, marc theissen, is this going to happen? >> it's entirely possible. i think the nomination of
4:43 pm
bernie sanders if he wants it during the clinton machine is dead. it's his party now and so if you wants this nomination they are going to have to wrestle it from him. he's a year younger than joe biden, who everybody is talking about is a serious candidate, so he's not too old if he wants to do it. he won't get into the race if he does, i think she is quite frankly the heir apparent to the standards movement. i think she would take -- she would be a real contender for the nomination. she's a little bit different from bernie sanders in the sense that she's not a democratic socialist. until the 1990s she was a registered republican and the nate state of massachusetts. she says she believes in markets and she believes that the dash he left the republican party because they got into bed with big market and big system to break the system against the little guy. that sounds a lot like donald trump. it would be a very fascinating clash with populism. >> sandra: enter karl rove, your thoughts?
4:44 pm
>> i agree. the mild disagreement i have is she may say those things but i don't think she believes those things. if you look at her legislative career, she may not run as a democratic socialist like bernie sanders does in vermont, but she is a democratic socialist and her behavior in congress and the things that she espouses. i think he's got it absolutely right. bernie sanders represents that sort of populist wing of the democratic party. if he runs, -- >> sandra: so you both agree she could run. there's a good possibility she could run. >> absolutely. >> sandra: but can she win, karl rove? >> the general election is several geological ages away. i think it all depends upon where is donald trump's favorable rating if he does run. if it's 35-38 where it is today then she's got a shot at it. if he is either not in the race or he approves his favorable rating so it's up in the 40s, maybe 45 or 50, then he can beat her. but it's a long way between --
4:45 pm
>> sandra: you and i both know it's right around the corner. if it's not her, say has not heard, although you are both telling me it's a likely situation that she could run. if it's not her, who else, marc theissen? was on the bench? >> you got candidates like cory booker, kemal harris and deval patrick, who are all out there and they would have the advantage of being both articulate speakers but they would be able to -- arguably because they are african-american, they would appeal to the african-american community and bring out that obama coalition. i think the sort of the dark horse front runner would be sharon brown of ohio. if sharon brown wins his reelection in 2018 he's a progressive populist from a key state in ohio. who knows how to champion the white working class who voted for barack obama twice and switched to donald trump in 2016. the key for the democrats to win
4:46 pm
in 2016 is to find a candidate who can win back those obama-from voters. there are millions of them, hundreds of counties that voted twice for barack obama and then switched to donald trump. if they have any chance of winning that election that got to find somebody who can appeal to them and it might be something -- >> sandra: you don't have to look far to see mitt romney in the headlines right now. orrin hatch announces his retirement and shortly after mitt romney issues a statement congratulating him. so is it going to be mitt romne mitt romney? >> romney is very popular in utah because the families long association to the state and his personal involvement in the olympics. lives in park city outside of salt lake. if he decides to run he is a very popular figure. he will be challenged for the nomination. but my sense is he would be enormously popular. the lds church would be largely behind him and the statue that he would bring to the senate
4:47 pm
with because a lot of a lot of utah ones to come out and support him. >> sandra: the big question, would he align with donald trum donald trump? >> i think it would be -- in order for mitt romney to lose we would have to get steve bannon to find another alleged predator to run against them because that's the only way you will lose the state of utah to the democrats. i think mitt romney is very much the likely nominee and i think it's good let orrin hatch decided to step down. he's been in washington since 1977. he just passed the first tax reform in three decades. he repealed the obama individual mandate. i think it's time for him to step aside and call it a career and make way for somebody. >> sandra: seems like you're trying to jump back in there? >> i do think that mitt romney is an adult. i think if you would be elected to the senate he would find ways to cooperate with the president when they agreed and if they had disagreements he would be
4:48 pm
respectful about it. and like -- i was involved in orrin hatch's 1988 campaign as a youngster. known him a long time. he's a wonderful human being. i'm glad he's going out on a high. he has passed this major tax form legislation. a lot of other compliments under his belt. he's done a magnificent job for the country and for the state of utah and i'm glad he's going out on a high note. >> sandra: i can arty picture a lot of the words that mitt romney -- choice words that mitt romney had for donald trump back then that would then come up, right? >> absolutely. the reality is i think donald trump is going to have to go out and support him. he will be the nominee. the presumption is to work together. i don't think mitt romney is going to be going to washington to stop tax reform, to stop the growing economy and get an economy moving again and undermined the term presidency. he's going to be going there to get conservative things accomplished. even the senators that donald trump hates the most like jeff flake and dean heller vote
4:49 pm
with him 95, 97% of the time. i think mitt romney would vote with him 96, 97% of the time. >> sandra: happy new year, good to see both of your. >> same to you. >> sandra: up next the most trusted name in news brings in the new year with a bong. plus, nbc announces matt lauer's replacement but the choice is raising one pretty and comfortable question. mollie hemingway and richard fowler on where the media is headed in 2018 when we come back. ♪ it's my new years resolution. whatever. can you get my plane? yeah, i don't do planes. i just do lightning. ♪ get ready for centrum micro-workouts. the bottle curl. the twist n' turn. the stretch n' grab. the gummy squish. centrum micronutrients fuel your body from the inside out. grab a centrum and join in.
4:50 pm
repeat daily.
4:51 pm
4:52 pm
>> i came prepared this year. i thought maybe i would bring a gas mask with me so i wouldn't get that contact high. but look at what's on the other end of the gas mask. a bong. >> sandra: that just doesn't get old, does it? they didn't teach that in journalism school. cnn taking some heat for his live report on board of the cannabus. nationally syndicated radio talk show host, both are fox news contributor's. what did you think of that moment the other night? >> i am from colorado, where we do have legal weed, but i think it's totally okay to have fun on new year's and be goofy and lighthearted, although there is a difference between --
4:53 pm
>> sandra: would you be okay with children saying that? >> that's actually just one of many things that was happening that night on cnn, a lot of drunken behavior and revelry. >> sandra: will that makes it okay then. >> i'm saying it was sort of problematic across the board. and also it's so inconsistent for cnn. a couple months ago they banned someone from appearing on a network because he said that there were two things that i'd never let him down, boobs and the first amendment. brooke baldwin said she gasped and couldn't believe it was said. then on new year's eve night she was making all these double entendre jokes about similar things. you have to be consistent. you can act like you are so offended by this rhetoric and then have a new year's eve special like this. >> sandra: richard, what you have to say on this? >> your show was better because i was in it. i actually tend to agree with molly on this one. i do believe that we should legalize marijuana for all the positive reasons. number one, it's cost-saving in colorado. they have a budget surplus
4:54 pm
thanks to the taxes collected. >> sandra: you're getting away from the conversation. i'm here with the visible anderson cooper looking on. >> when you do these type of segments that you normalize it and make it kooky and funny you get away from the actual benefits and talking about the benefits of legalizing it. you get into the sort of morality where people are aghast by the fact that cnn had the segment instead of actually talking about the benefits of legalizing it. >> sandra: moving on to another big new story, hold a copy is now the new host of the today show with savannah guthrie. all-female today show hosting panel there. all women. >> i think in this case she was chosen because she's a very beloved person on the network and they needed someone -- kind of a new trend to go in-house to replace talent and whatnot. but they had reason to have problem with matt lauer and they probably wanted a fresh female
4:55 pm
face there to not remind viewers of his many troubles. >> sandra: it's an interesting move. i think five years ago, looking back several years ago, you would have assumed that that position would have been filled with a man, but it was not, what does that tell us? >> there was a lot of speculation that there was a couple of men in line to get that role and ended up going in-house and having and having all-female cast. she is accompanied by our broker and carson -- i can't remove are the last name. carson daly. almost got it right the first time there. i think there is a benefit to having all-female cast. diversity to the mooring line up with is usually one man, and i have two women sort of teeing off the table. but i think it speaks to the fact that the sort of break the barrier, you can have an all-female cast lead a show. i think fox did it first with out numbered. >> sandra: we do bring on a man in the middle every day, our lucky guy, that was your today,
4:56 pm
right? >> it was me today. been working hard. i think it does speak to the fact that the network is trying to really sort of take away the stain of matt lauer. >> sandra: interesting that hoda kotb, i believe she waited and said she didn't receive a congratulatory text from matt lauer afterwards. we will see what the big new store is going to be a 2018, that's for sure. happy new year to you both, thanks for being here, richard get some sleep tonight. we will be right back. ♪ e mortgage process. i can import my financial information right from my bank. no more digging up paperwork. wow. talk about a time saver. yeah. let's talk time. rocket mortgage by quicken loans. get approved in as few as 8 minutes. but he's got work to do. with a sore back. so he took aleve this morning. if he'd taken tylenol, he'd be stopping for more pills right now. only aleve has the strength
4:57 pm
to stop tough pain for up to 12 hours with just one pill. tylenol can't do that. aleve. all day strong. all day long. and for pain relief and a good night's rest, try aleve pm for a better am.
4:58 pm
4:59 pm
>> sandra: just wanted to bring this to your attention mitt romney's twitter page after our discussion of orrin happen. it appears right after his announcement that mitt romney went on the twitter account and changed his location to hollywood utah from massachusetts. something we observed and thought we would share with you. thank you so much for being a part of the story tonight.
5:00 pm
it was great to be with you. we will see you back tomorrow night at 7:00 p.m. also catch me every day weekday at 9:00 on "america's newsroom" and again at noon on outnumbered. tucker is up next. ♪ ♪ >> tucker: well, good evening and welcome to tucker carlson tonight. and, of course, happy new year. america lasted yet another 12 months as the best country in the world. it was a turbulent year and 2018 could be even more so. later tonight advice on how to thrive over the year ahead no matter what happens. but, first, this country's largest state has taken another dramatic step towards disunion. an open defiance of the federal government. as of yesterday, california is now a sanctuary state. it's the nationst first. all police statewide in california are banned from asking about a suspect's immigration status or cooperating with federal immigration o

72 Views

1 Favorite

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on